The Ministerial Roundtable on Forest Landscape Restoration and the Bonn Challenge brings decision makers from the Caucasus and Central Asia together to discuss challenges and identify solutions related to forest landscape restoration.
The Ministerial Roundtable is organized jointly by the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), in cooperation with the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and with the kind financial support of Germany. It will be held on June 21-22, 2018 in Astana, Kazakhstan. The Roundtable seeks to discuss challenges, identify solutions and enhance commitments towards forest landscape restoration in the Caucasus and Central Asia and will be instrumental in furthering regional efforts.
The Roundtable is the first opportunity to align national and regional efforts in the Caucasus and Central Asia with the international Bonn Challenge – a global effort to bring 150 million ha of degraded and deforested land into restoration by 2020 and 350 million ha. by 2030.
Participation is by invitation and open for high-level representatives from the Caucasus and Central Asia, senior Bonn Challenge partners from the international and the donor community, leaders from international organizations and selected observers.
- Discuss possibilities for forest landscape restoration under the Bonn Challenge in the Caucasus and Central Asia;
- Share regional and national experiences of forest landscape restoration, challenges faced during implementation, and ways of addressing them;
- Discuss strategies and approaches for unlocking financial resources required for restoration;
- Consider ways of reporting on progress in restoration;
- Provide an opportunity for identifying and selecting areas for restoration.